Clifftop Challenge 2019


The alarm went off at 4am. I slithered out of bed and managed to put the coffee on and eat three Weetabix with my eyes still shut. A banana and some almonds swiftly followed. My clothes were all laid out from the night before. I threw them on and was on the street corner by 4:45 to meet the baldest of all monkeys Mr John Lawrence (he likes a mention).

A perfectly coordinated series of pickups resulted in myself, John, Steve, Craig and Jodie arriving in Appledore by a quarter to six. There was a small group of other runners already there and we waited (im)patiently for the 55 mile runners to pass through the checkpoint before we were sent on our way at 6am.

The sky was overcast but fine as John, Kevin H and myself headed east towards Walmer and Deal. We were at the 36 mile start but I would be finishing at Dover after 26.2 while John and Kevin carried on for another 10.

The route followed the Royal Military Canal towards Hythe and was nice and flat. We chatted happily and took a few photos. Our pace was pretty good and I kept the others amused/irritated with sheep themed Star Wars puns.

After ten miles we reached the foot of our first hill which would take us up to Lympne. We ran/walked up the steep ascent, stopping briefly for a selfie with the giraffes at Port Lympne Safari Park. Three miles later we arrived at our first checkpoint where the marathon starters were getting ready.

At this point the route became familiar from last year when we ran the 26.2. We crossed a large field and dived down into the woods at Brockhill, dodging roots and ducking beneath branches, emerging beneath the railway lines. The route then took us over the M20 on the bouncy bridge and up another steep incline towards the radio mast at Tolsford Hill. Here there was another checkpoint with the kindest and friendliest marshals on the route.

It was back down again through the beautiful woodland outside Etchinghill and then up, up, up the steep grass trail with a spectacular view as our reward. We continued towards Folkestone on a trail we know well from many Saturday morning bimbles, through the disused quarry and along the edge of the wheat fields above the Chunnel. We jogged onward over the Millenium White Horse until we reached Castle Hill.

From here the route takes you along a series of roads into Capel Le Ferne but we chose to hop the fence and run alongside the tarmac on the more leg friendly trails. By now the sun was out and it was getting quite warm, perfect conditions. The 15 milers were starting to assemble in Capel. We refuelled and - after some cursing by John at the lack of salted peanuts – progressed eastward with Dover the next stop.

My legs felt fresh and I wished I could keep going to Walmer and Deal to complete the 36. Unfortunately, I had a train to catch at 11am and it was now gone 10 so it would be touch and go if I would make it. John was feeling sore and I knew he would have another ten to go after I finished so I didn’t want to push on but stayed with him so that we could reach Dover together.

There is a café in Capel that is perched on the edge of the cliff. John was gasping for a coffee, so we pit stopped there and used the facilities. The queue wasn’t long but service was so slow we eventually gave up and ran on. We know this section very well and this may have led to my concentration waning a little leading to my right toe clipping a metal stud on the trail. I fell heavily onto the hard-baked mud. Thankfully it wasn’t one of the more exposed parts of the route that drop steeply to the foot of the cliff.

The trail follows the cliff edge into Dover and we carried on placing one foot in front of the other. Soon we were in the town and at the checkpoint by the new pier. My part of the route had been 30 miles, so John and Kevin were looking at nearly 40 by the end. I said goodbye and headed into town to make my way home.

It was wonderful to do the Clifftop Challenge again in support of Breast Cancer Now. Over 400 people took part. Thanks to all the organisers, marshals and supporters who made it such a good event, and of course the participants.

That’s half-way in our 12 marathons in 12 months challenge. Just six more to go.






Popular posts from this blog

A bridge too far?

Bushy, crewing and an Epping ultra

The Druid's Challenge