January


I’m aiming for 2019 to be my best year of running so far. Over the last seven years I have had good years and not so good years. 2015 was the most successful in terms of times with PBs achieved at every distance. However, 2018 has probably been the most enjoyable, exploring trails, running with my fellow Bald Monkey and entering some excellent events.

Injuries have been a part of my journey too and have interrupted my progress. From shin splints and runners knee to hip and iliotibial band strains. My diet has never been good and I have used exercise as an excuse to eat and drink whatever I want.

So, to this year and a determination to take my running to another level. A healthy diet, an injury prevention routine, hill and speed work and a marathon a month.

It would be hard to do this on my own so John and I are keeping one another accountable and so far, that has been a resounding success. Here are January’s achievements and February’s goals:

Achieved
  • 217 miles run
  • No alcohol
  • A balanced diet including fruit, seeds, vegetables and plenty of water
  • Weekly progressive hill sessions
  • Weekly 20+ long run
  • Sub 19:30 parkrun
  • Dymchurch New Year Marathon completed
  • Daily 2 minute plank, 10 press ups and yoga stretches
  • Good sleep
  • Started a C25K group at work

    Goals
  • 180+ miles
  • No alcohol
  • A balanced diet including fruit, seeds, vegetables and plenty of water
  • Weekly progressive hill sessions
  • Weekly 20+ long run
  • Sub 19:00 parkrun
  • Lenham Cross Winter Marathon
  • Daily 2 minute plank, 20 press ups and yoga stretches
  • Good sleep
  • Continue with C25K group

    Highlight
    My highlight for January has to be helping to pace John to a new PB of 19:48. It had been his goal to go under 20 minutes and seeing him achieve it gave me as much joy as getting my own PB.

    Best run
    No, not the marathon. It was nice to run on New Year’s Day but quite a chore going up and down the promenade. My best was actually last Saturday’s run to Summerhouse Hill, an off-road trek through woods, across hills and through mud. Towards the end John experienced severe pain in his knee but showed great determination by pushing on to the end.

    Lessons learned
  • Core strength is important and makes a big difference.
  • Fuelling during a long run is essential.
  • I like being tee-total.

Popular posts from this blog

A bridge too far?

Bushy, crewing and an Epping ultra

The Druid's Challenge