Feel the burn - Lenham Cross Winter Marathon



The second of the Bald Monkeys 12 marathons in 12 months took place last Sunday (24th February). My fellow Bald Monkey and I left Folkestone at 7am and navigated the M20 roadworks to reach Detling just after 8am. It was a beautiful clear, sunny day and unseasonably warm.

The race HQ was in the village hall where we picked up our numbers and met the other 95 runners. Following a quick set of instructions from the RD we were led outside to the pedestrian bridge crossing the A249 which marked the start line.

At exactly 9am we set off in a westerly direction through Boxley Wood. There was a steep incline which took us up 200 feet and we traversed the woodland before descending 300 feet and then climbing back up a set of steep wooden and earth steps. Just 4 miles in and our legs had already taken a pounding.

At this point we turned and retraced our steps back to Detling and arrived at the bridge having completed just under 8 miles. I took advantage of the facilities and gorged on fig rolls before we headed off east.

We both felt strong at this point and were making good time. The route now led us uphill again and we made sure we walked the steeper sections. The views from the top of the North Downs were incredible. The sun continued to shine and there wasn’t a cloud in the blue sky.

I was thankful for my pre-race preparations. I had stocked up with salted peanuts and trail bars. I had also bought a new vest with 2 soft bottles that sit to the left and right of my chest. One was filled with water and the other with a home-made isotonic concoction which involved dissolving salt and sugar in boiling water. It looked like urine but ensured I retained my salt levels.

The route was up and down for a few miles, but the scenery took our attention off the large number of steps we had to ascend and descend. At one point there were 100 steep steps to climb!

After another very steep descent down a grass hillside we arrived in the village of Hollingbourne. Half way. At this point I had developed a sharp pain in my right shin. In fact, it was sharp and burning as if I was being stabbed while having a lighter held to my leg. I hobbled up to the food station and managed to find someone with paracetamol.

Struggling on it continued to hurt and I was now putting most of my weight on my left leg. For about 3 miles I gritted my teeth and tried to keep up with John. Eventually we reached the turn around point beside the white Christian style cross chalked into the hillside. It was made in 1922 to commemorate those killed in the First World War.

Another helpful marshal used some cold spray on my leg and the pain subsided slightly. We ran back the way we had come along hard baked mud under the hot sun – in February! Back at the food station a medic had arrived and gave me an ice pack to shove down my sock. From that point on I managed to run pain free by adjusting my footfall so that I landed on my toes rather than my midfoot or heal.

Now there was only 5 miles to go and any doubts about being able to finish receded. In fact, we began to speed up, overtaking a few people as we approached Detling. Finally we descended into the village after 4 hours and 45 minutes. We crossed the line to be greeted by the race organizers and to receive our medals. The pain in my leg had gone and I felt great. I could have kept going. Given the terrain and elevation I was surprised how well I felt. The hill training we have been putting in every week is obviously paying off.

There was free tea and coffee and home made cakes available and we congratulated the winner who had finished over an hour ahead of us… We came 17th and 18th which wasn’t bad going considering. I even managed to get tan lines and a lightly sunburned head.

In 4 weeks we will be doing the Medway Megalith Marathon which is run by the same organisation. Hopefully, many of the same people will be there. We met some wonderful runners from across the country, Warwickshire, London and of course more local people from Deal.

This was the inaugural event in Lenham and I look forward to returning next year.











Popular posts from this blog

A bridge too far?

Bushy, crewing and an Epping ultra

The Druid's Challenge