The run where I ran over Seven Sisters

I mentioned in my last entry that I was feeling a bit rough....well I've been laid up all week with a terrible cold and fever, hence the delay in the report from Saturday's marathon. The good news is I was able to complete it. The bad news is I don't think I'll be running for another week at least. Still, here's my account on what has to go down as one of my favourite ever races.

The day had finally arrived; the Beachy Head Marathon. I hadn't felt such a high level of anticipation for an event in years. I awoke at 5am and felt ok. My nose was blocked and my throat was still a little scratchy but I was well enough not to worry.

I grabbed a bowl of porridge and a mug of steaming hot fresh coffee before dressing in my gear that I'd laid out the night before. It was dark outside but the prediction was for a cold and clear day. I had decided to go for my short sleeved compression baselayer but no meggins. I would also wear my jacket as I could wrap it around my waist if it wasn't needed. I had my sunglasses and a buff for my neck, my cap and my camelback containing snacks.

It was a tough call on the right footwear but I plumped for the trail shoes over the road shoes. Much of the course was on coastal paths and trails and I figured less weight was more important than cushioning. The hardest decision was which top to wear. After some discussion with Little John we decided on Cliff Top Challenge t-shirts. These look great on the back but unfortunately have a large sponsor on the front which would later make me regret my choice as I heard supporters yelling "Come on Walmer Batteries!"

I left the house at 5:30am with a pain au chocolat and banana in hand. Ten minutes later I was at Folkestone Central Station and boarded the 5:57 to Ashford. After 20 minutes we arrived and I jumped on the train to Eastbourne. A circuitous route but one that is an hour quicker than travelling by car.

I hoped to see a number of other runners making their way to the coast but I was the only one. In fact I was alone in the carriage so that gave me time to read my book and relax. Outside it was still pitch black. As we reached Hastings and, soon after, Bexhill the sky began to lighten and the few small fluffy clouds above the horizon lit up as though a pink highlighter pen had been drawn across them. The sky was clear and there was frost on the ground as we raced past the beach huts and gentle waves sipping the pebbled beaches.

 At 7:42 - the exact time predicted - we slowly pulled into Eastbourne station where John was waiting. We hugged (in a manly chest bumping kind of way) and bought coffee. The owner of the Air B'n'B he had stayed in along with his family had kindly agreed to drop us at St Bede's School where the race start was located.

It was now 8 o'clock and we had an hour until the start. A giant, red inflatable start/finsih line had been placed across the road. Through it's arch you could clearly see the steep climb that would take us up the South Downs for the first couple of miles. Rather than any sense of dread, all I felt was excitement and a desire to run.

Hundreds of people were already milling around and there were many more in the changing and baggage store area. We pinned our numbers onto our shorts so we looked like proper trail runners - because that would make all the difference right? - and stored our bags in a transparent bin liner under the first letter of our surnames that were arranged around the walls.

There was time for a good stretch before making our way to the start zone. The buzz was incredible. Everyone seemed so up for it. You never see as many smiling people as at the start of a running race. There were men and women, young and old, large and small and all dressed in rainbow lycra colours.

It was freezing cold but the sky was a powder blue and cloudless. Almost 3000 of us gathered and you could feel the body warmth around you. At 9 o'clock the local mayor made a short speech and then we were off. Thousands of runners charging towards a ridiculously steep grass hill with cheers ringing in our ears.

I had anticipated this moment countless times. All my hill training would kick in and I would surge forward, overtaking people and crowning the hill full of running. People would be amazed at my athleticism and the way I continued to relentlessly push on despite the gradient I had surmounted.

Unfortunately I was forced to walk at the half way point; hands on knees, short of breath and struggling. Eventually I arrived at what I thought was the top only to see the climb continued albeit at a lower incline. In fact we ran uphill for the first five miles! I felt exhausted and started to fear that my cold was going to prevent me finishing. Little John was feeling strong and I was thankful that he kept waiting for me to catch up.

We had climbed up and over the hill along a windy, stony path. A cold, stiff breeze beat against us and I was glad of my jacket. The homes and shops of Eastbourne were below us to our right and you could see the pier jutting out into the sea. We ran through an area of forest which lifted my spirits. At this point I realised I should have paid a visit to the gents once more before we left. There were no facilities and so I had to climb a gate and make do with a small field. Relieved in more ways than one, I felt much better.

From this point on I felt great and started to enjoy myself. My pace improved so Little John and I were able to run together and he didn't have to hang around for me so much. Following our descent through the trees we commenced our second major climb - Wentover Hill. The views from the top were amazing and we stopped often for selfies as you will see at the end of this piece.

The village of Alfriston was now in sight. We descended and passed through it's streets (I have no recollection of this so I'm just going from the map). The next summit was Borstal Hill. As we ran up it we could see a long line of runners ahead traversing the top of the hill as it ran along beside us marking the half way point. The route now led us back towards Eastbourne and from now on the wind would be at our backs.

A sharp downhill section took us back to sea level and into the Cuckmere Valley where the river curls and curves its way towards the sea. We crossed the river on a narrow wooden bridge and there was another large contingent of people there to encourage us noisily. We entered Littlington which was the location of the fourth checkpoint.

A word about the checkpoints and marshalling. Wow.

Seriously though I have never been to a race that was so resplendent with happy, smiling, helpful marshalls or such well stocked food tables. One of the checkpoints even had Vegan food provided by the Vegan Runners organisation. I was particularly grateful for this. Having earlier had to spurn the meat sausage rolls I was able to tuck into a vegan cheese sandwich.

**For some reason Blogger wants my photos to all go here so enjoy a short intermission**
Route profile - over 3500 feet of climb

Monkeying about at the start


Cuckmere Haven

One of the Seven Sisters

2+2=4.....Walmer batteries?!?!?!

Not too fussed about finishing...

Looking cool before I felt freezing
Fed and watered we left the village and now, after 16 miles, faced the Seven Sisters, a series of chalk cliffs that rise and fall along the coastline. Each peak and trough has a name. We ran across:

Haven BrowShort Bottom

Short Brow

Limekiln Bottom

Rough Brow

Rough Bottom

Brass Point

Gap Bottom

Flagstaff Brow
Flagstaff Bottom

Flat Hill

Flat hill Bottom

Baily's Hill

Michel Dean

Went Hill Brow

Quite interestingly they were used in the filming of Robin Hood Prince of Thieves. The hills weren't particularly high but they were incredibly steep resulting in everyone trying not to roll down one side before walking up the other.

Anyway, we soon arrived at Birling Gap where a row of houses are falling, one by one, into the sea. ANother long climb led us towards Beachy Head and on to the cafe at the top of the downs. It was now just half a mile to the finish and we could hear the announcer calling out the names of those crossing the line. We sped up...

There it was, the giant inflatable finish line surrounded by people cheering and small figures that looked like Borrowers running under it's bulbous red bulk. We charged down the hill like competitors in the Cooper's Hill cheese-rolling festival. Barely keeping out footing we made it to the bottom and joined hands to celebrate finishing the race together.

We were handed medals, had out timing chips removed and then picked up a bottle of water before exiting the finish area. I began to feel very cold. Half an hour later I was back in the baggage area wrapped in layers of clothing but still shivering. My arms were full of pins and needles and my fingertips had gone numb. For a while I worried I was having some kind of heart issue but I signed up for a massage anyway.

Eventually the strange feeling in my arms and hands passed but the chills continued. I was going to suffer during the next week. Was it worth it? Hell yea! 

Popular posts from this blog

A bridge too far?

Bushy, crewing and an Epping ultra

The Druid's Challenge