Running on empty and other thoughts...

Running on empty

I'm still struggling to shake off this cold. Last week I didn't run at all, I didn't do much of anything in fact, except sleep, cough and blow my nose. I did manage a couple of short yoga sessions to stretch out and was able to do the first few days of a plank challenge I've signed up to for the month but no miles.

On Saturday I attended parkrun but it was a struggle. I managed to run it all, but had to stop a few times for a good cough and nose blow. My time was around 28 minutes but it felt like an achievement just to finish. It was actually quite nice to take it easy and chat to others.

Sunday morning I went out again to test the water and met John to rerun the parkrun route along the Leas. Once more I felt weak and blocked sinuses were an issue. I've heard that you should keep running through a head cold so I'm prepared to persist in the hope that my body gets the message.

It's a delicate balancing act between making myself worse and breaking out of the illness. I will do a few more short easy runs this week and hopefully be well enough to do a slightly longer one on Saturday.

*****

Own Goals

This year I have already exceeded my expectations. 1000 miles is my usual goal and I am already on 1320. I'll now try and reach 1500 which should be possible barring major injury.

I'm starting to think ahead to next year too. I have a place in the Paris Marathon in April and I'm in the ballot for Berlin in September. I'd love to do a few more trail marathons and maybe an ultra along with some local half marathons and 10k's. As far as parkrun goes I'm eyeing my 250 in the summer and would love to get consistently sub 20 again.

*****

'Tis the season to be running


For me the changing of the seasons is one of the highlights of being a runner. I've loved the heat of summer; the sweat, the cooling sea swims, the wild flowers, the insects, the tan! Now autumn has brought the fallen leaves, cool breezes and dark nights. Soon it will be winter and time to pull on my tights, gloves and hat, a numb nose, red cheeks, snow and ice, hot drinks and misty breath. Then spring will return with pink blossom, birdsong, the sun's warmth on my back, fresh green leaves, bright yellow daffodils and a new marathon season.

Running, like walking, photography and meditation brings the changing seasons alive. We are lucky to have four distinct seasons with all this brings. Each has something unique and special to offer.

*****

We like to be together

Running can be a solitary activity. I actually enjoy running on my own. It gives me space and time to think, pray and, if needed, switch off my mind altogether.

Running can also be a communal activity. I love sharing the experience with others, in particular my partner in crime Little John Lawrence. Over the last year we have shared many runs, from parkruns to marathons, from flat coastal runs to hilly trail runs, from runs we have enjoyed together to runs we have had to endure together.

These times are enjoyable in themselves but they also create great memories. 

Popular posts from this blog

A bridge too far?

Bushy, crewing and an Epping ultra

The Druid's Challenge