The run where it is a feta-compli



Sunday 22nd July had become a popular date. In Folkestone there was a sandcastle making competition on the beach and an air display by the Red Arrows in the sky. However, I had already committed to attend a church service in Shipham near Bristol to speak about Mission Aviation Fellowship.

That same afternoon Tim and Georgie Vallance-Webb were hosting a going away party at their house in Surrey and I was invited. They are going to Arnhem Land in Australia in a few weeks to fly planes to remote Aboriginal communities. I have worked closely with them to fin the funding they had been required to raise.

The service was at 10 and I was due in Surrey late afternoon. When I saw that Shipham was only 3 miles or so from Cheddar I knew I would need my running kit. I ran the gorge a few years ago when I was due to running on the flat. This was my opportunity to challenge myself with my new hill-ready legs.




The Gorge was formed when meltwater floods cracked the Mendip Hills apart during periglacial periods stretching over a million years. It is an impressive natural wonder that reached a height of 450 feet and is riddled with caves. In 1903 a 9000 year old mans body was discovered in one of the caves and he was dubbed ‘Cheddar Man’.

Made of Limestone, the gorge is traversed by Cliff Road which winds its way from the village of Cheddar to the barren moorland above over a distance of 4 miles. The gradient is as steep as 16% in places and contains many sharp hairpin bends with traffic and bikes in both directions.

I added myself to the already crowded tarmac, set my Strava and went for it despite the 30 degree heat. With no previous time to compare with I would have to check the segment on Strava which shows times other runners have managed.

Leaving the cheese shops and tourists behind I encountered the steepest part of the climb. My legs burned with lactic acid and my lungs gasped for oxygen as sweat poured from my brow, back, arms and many other places.

It was encouraging to pass a number of cyclists in their lycra outfits as they laboured with the climb. After around a mile the incline reduced, and the cyclists began to catch me but I kept my head down and kept up a solid cadence. Another mile on I was beginning to anticipate the summit not realising how much further I had still to go.

Ducking and weaving from left to right depending on the corner and movement of oncoming traffic, I just about managed to squeeze through the gaps between the rough, vertical walls and the hunks of metal rolling towards me.

Into the third mile and the pain had reduced; I was in a good rhythm but tiring. The top was beginning to get closer but I didn’t look back. Finally, I emerged on the plateau, past the sign that said ‘Welcome to Cheddar Gorge’ and turned off the road onto the gravel path.

I later looked at my Strava account and realised I had completed the main segment of the hill in the 8th fastest time ever 19:40 for 2.4 miles at an average pace of 8:07 and an elevation of 570 feet. The whole 4.2 mile run took me 34 minutes and resulted in a total elevation of 801 feet – yes the 1 foot is important!

The views from the top were well worth the effort with a stunning panorama of the Somerset Levels, the local reservoir and of course the deep gorge falling away below, cars and people like ants below.



Popular posts from this blog

A bridge too far?

Bushy, crewing and an Epping ultra

The Druid's Challenge