The run where I get creative / lose the plot a little


The planned run
Freehand (foot)
That's supposed to be a heart
I’ve just started using Strava and it’s a revelation. Although I signed up months ago I couldn’t connect my Garmin watch and hadn’t realised that it was possible to use my phone with the Strava app. Now I can pop it in my fitbelt and I’m good to go.

This week I set up my profile and followed some other runners I know. Then I went out and drew some words.

People sometimes post pictures of their route online and they are usually just an out and back or circular shape. Occasionally however, someone will draw a picture (usually of a man’s part) but sometimes a more creative piece.

Yesterday I thought I would start simple and attempt to write some words. First up was MAF, the name of the charity I work for. I planned it out on the streets but then went to the nearby park and traced it freehand - or should I say freefoot.

Afterwards I had a go at my daughter’s name which was a little more successful. In all I totalled 6 miles but was so engrossed in the map I didn’t realise I had run so far. It isn’t something I would do regularly as it takes away from the run itself but it was a bit of fun.

Strava also enables you to set particular segments within your run that you can share with others and then compete to see how quickly you can run them. You can search these segments to challenge others. Again something different to motivate you when you want a challenge.

The other app John showed me (there’s your mention John) is Relive. This amazing software enables you to show your run on a satellite image of the area making it more identifiable and showing the environment, contours and landmarks. If you take photos while running these also pop up when you reach them.

If you are on Strava please follow me there. Adam Pope with an MAF UK photo.

Popular posts from this blog

A bridge too far?

Bushy, crewing and an Epping ultra

The Druid's Challenge