Hail, hills and a running commute

This week I managed three long runs. The first was on Saturday morning with my new running buddy John. We met at his house for a strong coffee before making our way to parkrun. It was a cold and windy day and the biting easterly breeze was a force to be reckoned with.


In Folkestone the wind normally comes from the west, facing us on the uphill section of the Leas path. Due to the arctic vortex pushing in from Siberia this was reversed and we faced a hill climb one way and a head wind the other - not easy conditions at all.


That said we both seemed to run strongly and finished 9th and 12th respectively. Instead of the traditional post-parkrun coffee and cake stop we decided to head along the seafront to Hythe. The wind was at our backs and it was an enjoyable 45 minutes to the small town which lies between Folkestone and New Romney.




At this point we did duck into a cafĂ© for a coffee and a 'large' piece of cake thanks to John's request. When we left  15 minutes later the wind had gained strength and a light hail was falling. We now faced the wind and I could barely open my eyes as the tiny shards of ice battered my bald head and face.


After a couple of miles of this running along the towpath of the Royal Military Canal, we crossed the main road in Seabrook and headed uphill. Why not? This took us up Hospital Hill to the army barracks over 300 feet above the sea.


John pushed on and I struggled to stay with him, but my highly competitive nature reared its head and I clung onto his heals until the last bend where we stopped for a photo against the now white backdrop.




It was just another couple of miles into Cheriton and another coffee back at John's house. 14 miles completed but it felt like 20.


On Wednesday I caught the train to work and then ran the 9 miles back from Folkestone to Dover. It felt like spring and for the first time in months I managed to run without my jacket on. The sun was shining and the views over the Channel towards France were glorious. It is harder carrying a rucksack but after a while you forget it is there. I also found that if I tie the straps around my ribcage it takes the weight of my shoulders. #useful tip.


The following day I reversed the route and ran in to the office, returning by train. This time it was grey and cold again but the four miles of uphill soon warmed me up. The benefit of running into Folkestone is that the last mile is all downhill so you can let your legs go. I managed to average 8.5 minute miles which I was happy with.


It's a great feeling sitting at your desk before 9am having experienced the elements and pushed your body hard. By the evening I'm knackered but you get quite a buzz during the day and I always feel more productive and energised.


So, 32 miles for the week and 94 so far in March. I now have a day to rest up before another long run and my 200th parkrun. My first parkrun was five and a half years ago - September 2012. In that time I have run 1000 km (620 miles) between 9am and 9:30 on a Saturday mornings. I can't imagine my life without parkrun now.



Popular posts from this blog

A bridge too far?

Bushy, crewing and an Epping ultra

The Druid's Challenge