The quiet runner

I've been absent from this blog for a number of months now. Life sometimes gets busy! So what have I been up to running wise?

The year started well with an average of 80 miles run each month. I ran in the Milton Keynes Half Marathon and did ok but felt a degree of cramp and discomfort at the end. This was the beginning of what I am calling the year of the niggle.

Back pain, foot pain, leg pain. You name it I've suffered with it this year. It has taken it's toll and my running came to a dramatic halt at the end of June following a number of good parkrun times close to the 19 minute mark.


A concentrated and prolonged pain in my left thigh led me back to the physio. The pain was not only present when I ran but all the time. It was worse in the mornings when I woke up. Following a number of consultations and tests the physio identified an issue with my posture and running style that have probably exacerbated the issues over the last few years.

My pelvis is tilted both down and to the left. My ribcage points up and out. The fact that they pull away from one another opens up the abdominal area which causes my body to react by pulling in protection from the hip flexors, back and leg muscles. These then overstretch and burn out causing referred pain.

Not a pretty picture. The solution: a number of stretching and breathing exercises and a summer without running. Not good.

However I have surprised myself with my self discipline on this road to recovery. I stopped running completely and have been volunteering every week at parkrun. This in itself has been very enjoyable. I've been regularly following the exercise programme I was given - a first for me. Now I'm starting to run slowly and carefully.



At the moment I am up to 3 miles easy. I mix it up with upper body strengthening exercises such as press ups and chin ups to help build core strength in the meantime. It's hard going. Just 8 weeks out and I feel back to square one. I know that isn't the case but after 3 miles at a slow pace I am done in.

My target now is to be back at parkrun in October but taking it steady and increase my mileage gradually with the aim of competing in a half marathon next spring. One thing for sure is I'm not giving up. If I can do this right I hope to be stronger and quicker than ever next year.

Popular posts from this blog

Bushy, crewing and an Epping ultra

A bridge too far?

The Druid's Challenge