Competitive or crazy?

It's a fine line between being competitive and just plain crazy.


Must....beat...Nick.....
I think sometimes I cross that line with my running. There is something in me that can't seem to resist a challenge, even one I have set myself.

I see this when I'm running alone but also when I'm with others. It happens during race conditions and also when there is no organised event. There is always something I can find to push myself that bit harder.

Sometimes the competition is against the clock such as the lunchtime I went out for a gentle 3-4 mile jog and found myself sprinting the last of 6 miles to get under the 45 minute mark.

On other occasions it is against a person (they may not even be aware that I am competing against them). I spot them ahead of me and can't resist trying to pass them. It happens when I see an unknown jogger on the path in front of me or when I'm doing fartleks with the running group.

parkrun is the worst for this. I have lost count of how many times I have arrived determined to take it easy and started off slower only to begin picking people off as I progress. 'Just one more', 'I'll just try and catch John', 'If I can just finish in the top 20'. All these thoughts crowd out the desire to run without that competitive edge and I cross the line at full pelt again wondering why I have no self control.

A gentle jog around the park...
I guess it makes it more fun, setting myself little challenges gives me a sense of achievement and pride. It does no harm to anyone else and so far hasn't resulted in any serious damage to me. I wonder where it comes from though?

Looking back I have always had this competitive spirit. I have never liked losing and I can beat myself up far too much if I get beaten whether in running, squash, a pub quiz or doing a crossword. I can get competitive about almost anything. If there is no one else to compete with I will compete against myself. Like the Daft Punk song always striving to be 'harder, better, faster stronger.'

Does it matter? In some ways no, in fact it is this competitive streak that has enabled me to achieve so much in my running; new PB's, longer distances etc. I find great joy in it, a feeling of satisfaction, the adrenaline rush of setting a goal and achieving it. However I do wonder if it is a little bit crazy to do it all the time.

Perhaps it wouldn't hurt to stop competing every now and then, to enjoy the act of running itself rather than the result; the journey rather than the destination. It's difficult. You are talking about a man who can't allow himself to be beaten by a hill!

But maybe I'll try to ditch the crazy runner occasionally. He can still come out when invited but at the moment he seems to be taking over.

Popular posts from this blog

A bridge too far?

Bushy, crewing and an Epping ultra

The Druid's Challenge