20 things I only know because I run...

You learn a lot when you get into running. None of it particularly useful in any other area of life but interesting none the less. Here are twenty things I now know because I run.

  1. The exact point at which I am one mile from my home, in any direction.
  2. Fartlek is a Swedish word for a speed training session.
  3. Wearing tights feels really good.
  4. Stretching is essential before and after running.
  5. Always spit downwind.
  6. Where to apply Vaseline to prevent chafing.
  7. Nothing beats an endorphin rush.
  8. I am ridiculously competitive.
  9. A taper is the process of resting before a long run.
  10. Sweat tastes like the sea.
  11. A marathon is 26 POINT TWO miles.
  12. I feel more tired when I don't run that when I do.
  13. How fast I can run 5K, 10K, half and full marathons to one hundredth of a second.
  14. The foods with the most carbohydrates.
  15. How to drink water while running without choking.
  16. My body is capable of much more than I think it is.
  17. I can do mental maths when it involves split times.
  18. It is possible to forget you are running while you are running.
  19. A bin bag makes a perfect disposable jacket in cold weather.
  20. No one is too old, unfit or overweight to run.

Popular posts from this blog

A bridge too far?

Bushy, crewing and an Epping ultra

The Druid's Challenge