The heartbeat of the run


Running can sometimes be a form of meditation. I have often found myself on long runs entering into a state of mind where I feel freed from the constraints of thinking and I am able to just sit in my mind and be.

In his book Running with the Pack Mark Rowlands speaks about this. It seems to touch upon the legendary Runner's High that is also spoken about by many long distance runners.

He writes about his own experience of what he calls 'the heartbeat of a run'; that place where rhythm and exhaustion come together. The flow of legs turning over, arms pumping and feet pounding the road create a rhythmic cadence that hypnotises and lulls you onto another plane. Meanwhile the physical and mental exhaustion experienced causes the mind to relax enabling thoughts to float to the surface.


He describes this as the place where 'thinking stops and thoughts begin.' I love that description.

The only other times that I have experienced this form of awareness and detachment is when in prayer. I think the two are very similar. Sometimes when I am praying or meditating I enter a state where I am aware of myself praying from outside myself. I have also had this experience when running. I feel as though I am watching myself running from outside. It is the strangest sensation and yet not at all unpleasant.

It is at these times when I am able to be without my mind and emotions getting in the way. I'm not out of it in anyway, I am conscious yet separated from the active process of thinking. I find it very hard to describe this beautiful experience.

Another form of separation mentioned in the book is with reference to Dualism. This term was coined by Descartes, he of 'I think therefore I am' fame. Descartes identified that it is possible to lie to ourselves and therefore he concluded that the mind and the body must be separate from one another.

This is something that I have taken advantage of many times when pushing myself to the limit in various races. I find myself promising my body all sorts of treats or making numerous threats in order to spur my limbs to keep working hard.

The most profound experience of this was during the Shires and Spires Ultra Marathon last June. With only four miles to go my body was shutting down. It was taking all my energy just to put one foot in front of the other. My legs wanted to stop but my mind was determined to keep going. I remember telling my body that if it kept running for the next two miles I would allow it to walk the last two knowing full well that when we got to the last two miles I would never walk.

I am forever employing these lies against myself in order to encourage better performance. In marathons I have told myself that if I do one more sub 8 minute mile I will follow it with a 9 minute one as a reward. Do I? Of course not, I just continue the lie for another mile.

So often as runners we focus on our bodies; our diet, stretching, posture, core strength etc. But a strong mind is just as important, even if it means an ability to deceive ourselves for a time. Next week in Manchester I will need to be thinking positive while employing all the mind games in my arsenal to keep myself pushing right to the end.

Coming soon... 10 lies marathon runners tell themselves.

Popular posts from this blog

A bridge too far?

Bushy, crewing and an Epping ultra

The Druid's Challenge