Taper Time


Any good preparation for a marathon includes the taper. This involves reducing the number of miles covered week by week in order to rest and allow muscles to refuel in time for the big event. I have to admit I find it one of the hardest parts of the runners training plan. After weeks and weeks of increased mileage and long runs it seems crazy to reduce that effort so close to the race itself. I find myself getting agitated and nervous, worrying that all that training is being wasted.

Of course R&R is just as important as fartleks and long runs. If the muscles aren't topped up and rested my body will be starting with a handicap and this will really show over the final miles as my fuel tank empties. But how do you rest when the biggest race of the year is on the horizon?


Having researched the current advice on tapering it seems that a 25% reduction per week is in order. I have been logging 25 miles per week so that would bring me down to 20, then 15 and finally 10 the week before. But at what pace? There seems to be mixed advice on this. Some say it is important to stay sharp and run a number of miles at race pace. Others suggest an easy pace to protect muscles. I 'll probably take it easy because....

....the other danger is picking up an injury. My worst nightmare is to go on a training run a few days before the marathon and pull a hamstring or twist my ankle. It seems the more I worry about it the more prone I become to accidents - dropping things, slipping in the shower, twisting awkwardly getting out of bed, I become a bundle of nerves, a complete clutz, daily life becomes a minefield!

Aside from wrapping myself in cotton wool for three weeks I have no choice but to try to live as normal as possible - at least until the final few days. Then I will be eating pasta as though it is about to be banned. Saucepans full of pasta will get shoved down my neck as I aim to carb load before the big day.


My emotions seem to get a bit frayed during this time too. I can become touchy and irritable, (which isn't a noticeable change to most people who know me) my sleep is disturbed and I start to find programmes like Undercover Boss intensely emotional!

So all in all the marathon is less than a one day event and more of a four month endurance challenge. But it's so worth it. This is the first time I have prepared properly for the 26.2 miles. The first time I have trained consistently through the winter, the first time I have managed the 20 mile long run in preparation and the first time I have followed the taper rules. Will it make a difference? It can't hurt but I still think it will come down to three factors; the weather, mental toughness and avoiding the need to pee.

Popular posts from this blog

A bridge too far?

Bushy, crewing and an Epping ultra

The Druid's Challenge