PB or not PB that is the question.


The pressure was off last weekend as I entered the Milton Keynes Half Marathon on the back of a new PB. My recent run in the Brighton Half Marathon had resulted in taking 6 minutes off my previous best and going under 90 minutes for the first time. This race would have been my chance at a second attempt had that not come off.

I ran in Milton Keynes last year and found it tough going. In 2014 there had been a mini heatwave but this year the weather was cool and windy. As you can see from the profile below it has a nasty surprise at the end too.


I was in the first of two waves for sub two hour runners. The start time was slightly later than normal as a 5k and 10k event were held beforehand.We set off at 10:45 on a figure of eight loop that started by the Xscape centre before taking in various villages and lakes before finishing back at the snow dome.

The support was good with large groups of people at the start and finish and pockets of supporters in the villages ringing cow bells.

I decided to run at a steady eight minute mile pace which would be my aim in the upcoming Manchester Marathon. I thought this would be good practice and I could view it as a 13 mile training run. At the end of the first mile however, despite getting caught up in the crowded start, I had clocked 7 minutes. This continued for the next two miles as I tried to slow down but was carried along by the other runners.

My legs felt light and full of running which was a surprise as I had broken my Parkrun PB only 24 hours before. For the first time I had come in under 19 minutes, taking 20 seconds off to finish in 18:48.


I slowed a little but continued to come in under 7:30 every mile and my target time of sub 1:35 was revised to sub 1:40. Why not? I was running well and enjoying it.

There were four drinks stations along the route and I made an effort to stop and drink at each one, stretch my legs, and then resume running rather than drinking on the run which had previously caused me problems with stitch. This paid off as I found that I lost little time and was able to get back up with the same people within a few hundred metres. I also had no stitch.

After nine miles I began to tire but by now I knew I could manage around 1:35. A guy next to me asked what I was aiming for and mentioned that he hoped to break his PB of 1:37 so I decided to pull him through. We ran together for a couple of miles and with a word of encouragement I pulled ahead.


At this point we entered Campbell Park with it's undulating paths and steep climb. I felt the heaviness in my legs which had come from the strenuous run the day before and twelve sub 7:30 miles on the day. I kept pushing and eventually crossed the line in 1:36:01. The guy I was helping finished just 20 seconds behind in a new PB.

Milton Keynes is a tough course. The wind was strong and at times directly in our faces, the subways put a strain on thighs when descending and coming up the other side and the final mile should really be altered. I'm sure there are hundreds of people each year who are on for a PB before being beaten by the hill.


That said the event is well organised with great marshals. The price is reasonable and although fewer in number the support from local people is excellent. Parking is plentiful and cheap and you can always find a good place for a drink and meal afterwards.

So with two events completed and only nine weeks of the year gone I have now accomplished two of my five goals for the year; a Parkrun PB and a Half Marathon PB. Just the mile, 10K and Marathon PB's to go!

Popular posts from this blog

A bridge too far?

Bushy, crewing and an Epping ultra

The Druid's Challenge