Winter Wonderland

Do you have to let it linger?
Having dispatched the head cold that had lingered like the last fudge in a box of Roses for the previous three weeks I was looking forward to plenty of running over the holiday period. Sadly it wasn’t to be as another bug attacked on Christmas Eve this time targeting the chest as well as the sinuses.

On Christmas day I coughed and sniffed around Parkrun course. Despite my ailments it was a highly enjoyable. The clear blue sky and winter sunshine was the perfect backdrop to the 308 runners, many sporting Santa hats, who managed to complete the 3 miles before heading home for a well earned dinner.
Two days later it was Parkrun time again and I was feeling even worse. Still I crawled out of bed and dragged myself round over six minutes slower than my usual pace. One Parkrun closer to the 100 target.

Christmas Morning
By the following Tuesday I was desperate to go for a long run. The weather was perfect, the temperature hovering around zero with cloudless skies and no wind. Before the holiday I had envisioned two possibilities. One would take me to the local reservoir for a 7 mile lap of the water. The other involved a flat route along the old railway line and back.

As yet undecided which path to take I kitted up in meggins, gloves, beanie and my new Adidas waterproof jacket. I set off in the car towards Brixworth, a local village where both routes began, and weighed up the pros and cons of the two routes. Well the pros anyway as there were no cons to a long run on a chilly but bright winter’s morning.

Eventually I resorted to a coin toss; heads the resi, tails the railway. Tails it was and I made my way to the car park at the bottom of the hill. There were a couple of cars already there but no one in sight as I warmed up. The air was sharp and clear and a dusting of spiky, white frost rested on the grass and spiny tree branches.

The disused railway line used to link Northampton with Market Harborough, a 14 mile route give or take. No tracks have long since been removed and a gravel path now allows pedestrians and cyclists to travel between the two. The track is narrow and winds through fields and small hills following the river.

Winter
 Heading north away from Northampton I was soon away from the roads and alone with my thoughts. As the spire of Brixworth church retreated I took in the silence punctuated only by the occasional bird song. Bullfinches and Robins skitted ahead of me swooping from tree to tree. Small puddles of ice cracked beneath my feet as I began to fall into my rhythm.

A short stretch of this section was included in last summer’s Shires and Spires Ultra race. I recalled the pain and tiredness I had been feeling at that point six months before. 34 miles under my belt and with the relentless heat of the June sun beating down on me I had forced myself to keep running with the promise of a cool beer at the finish.

Summer
How different the conditions were now and yet the two moments were linked by one thing - the joy of running. Just as the countryside changes with the seasons, each one holding a distinctive and particular beauty; the full leaf and warmth of summer, the colour of autumn, the starkness and clarity of winter and the emergent life of spring, so running changes with the seasons. I pondered on this for a while remembering how it felt to run on those humid, sultry days. Weighed down with water bottles, cream and a hat to protect from sunburn, the wicking of my short sleeved t-shirt removing the sweat from my body. Such a contrast from the layers I had put on that morning to keep protect from the cold, the long sleeves, tights, gloves and wool hat.

Seeing no one around I let out a loud “Whoo hoo!” that echoed and swirled around the low lying hills to either side, bringing a smile to my face. Again I shouted at the top of my voice knowing there was no one around to cause me to be embarrassed. It felt liberating.

Around the next bend I had to cross the A508 which carries those driving in the same direction. Here I passed one of the few other people I saw during the hour and twenty minutes I was out. She was much older than me and accompanied by a lolloping Irish Wolfhound.

At this point I wasn’t sure how far I was planning to run. It was tempting to go all the way to Market Harborough but that would be a 22 mile round trip. I decided to aim for the Draughton crossing a couple of miles ahead which would take me up to 5 miles at the half way point.     

By now I was in a smooth and comfortable rhythm. I find this often happens after about three or four miles and last for about the same distance. My Garmin showed I was clocking up consistent 8 minute miles, just enough pace to be pushing but not too much to cause discomfort.

Reaching Draughton I stopped for a couple of minutes to clear my nose and throat and then headed back. I fell into a dream-like state where I was lost in my thoughts and unaware of my breathing or the turning of my legs. I thought about the year ahead, my running plans, family holiday plans, work plans.

The 'Way'
Snapping out of my inner monologue I took in afresh the surrounding countryside. The Midlands aren’t renowned for their rural beauty in the same way that Cornwall, the Lake District or Northumberland are. There are no majestic mountains, deep valleys, vast lakes or stunning vistas but there is still a beauty that is contained within all of creation and the natural world and is present in Northamptonshire. Gently rolling farmland, small woods and meandering rivers present an appealing backdrop that is easy on the eye and the spirit.

Before long I was drawing near to the church spire and only a mile from the car. The sun was at it’s zenith and yet had barely lifted itself above the tree line. I stopped as I completed the tenth mile four seconds short of 80 minutes. Although tired I felt invigorated and mentally refreshed.     

Popular posts from this blog

A bridge too far?

Bushy, crewing and an Epping ultra

The Druid's Challenge