Running at the resi


Today I had planned to go for a run at lunchtime but as I sat and drank my morning coffee I didn't want to wait. On the spur of the moment I rang the office and told them I would be in late. My wife agreed to drop me in Brixworth on her way to work and, after a quick change and a banana, I was all set.

I arrived in Brixworth at 8:45 and headed straight through the village to Pitsford reservoir about a mile away. It was a chilly morning with occasional rain, however breaks in the cloud revealed a cool blue winter sky above.

Once I had left the main road and entered Brixworth Country Park I had to decide whether to take the clockwise loop starting at the sailing club or head anti-clockwise across the dam. I chose the later which would put the gusty wind at my back on the outward section.

There weren't many people around due to the inclement conditions but those I saw smiled and shared a greeting, they were mostly dog walkers forced out by their K9 companions. I felt comfortable at 8 minute mile pace, my breathing was steady and I felt light and strong.

Having crossed the dam I skirted around the water works and splashed through the puddles leading to Pitsford Creek. Turning left through the woods I noticed a plethora of bird life. Tiny wrens shot across the path in front of me while tits and finches swooped from tree to tree along the path ahead of me.

Emerging from the woodland I could see the reservoir stretched out before me although due to the dog leg I knew there was further to go before I reached the causeway in the distance. At North Farm Bay the trail was waterlogged and I had to take the muddy route around the wide puddles. By now I was into my stride and enjoying what was becoming a beautiful morning, the sun climbing above the low grey clouds and glinting off the water.


Before I knew it I was at the Fishing Lodge and crossing the Causeway which separates the two halves of the reservoir. A skein of Canada Geese took off from the water on the other side and attempted to fly across the road. At one point the wind was so strong that despite the frantic flapping of wings they seemed to be hanging stationary above the passing cars. Eventually they  made it to the other side and landed exhausted.


Turning left onto the inward leg I felt the wind in my face and realised for myself just  how strong it was. I pushed forward to maintain my pace but could feel the extra effort it required. I passed Bog Bay where I spotted a Redwing sheltering under the hedge and a little further on, below Brixworth Wood, a Kestrel hovering above the ground hunting for a mid morning snack. On seeing me it wheeled around and re-positioned itself 20 metres behind me.


The Sailing Club always appears so close but then two hidden bays push you further out. I remembered this from last year's Pitsford Half Marathon when I began my sprint only to discover Brixworth Bay which added half a mile to the distance left to go! Eventually I arrived and headed away from the reservoir back towards Brixworth. 8 miles done but I still had to get home.

The A508 from Brixworth to Northampton is a nasty road. A single carriageway where cars regularly top 60mph. It is a hilly road with a narrow pavement that is cracked and muddy. I headed down past Manor Farm and then ascended the very steep hill towards Pitsford Village. Head down, arms pumping I arrived at the top breathless. Another descent gave me time to recover before I again had to run up the hill past Boughton Park and back into Northampton.

By the time I had reached my home I had covered 11 miles in the 90 minutes I was out. It was a good route both in terms of the views and wildlife as well as the hill workout towards the end.

Popular posts from this blog

A bridge too far?

Bushy, crewing and an Epping ultra

The Druid's Challenge