10 for 2015


Well the year has ended much the same way that it began, slowly. It has been an amazing year with the peak coming in the summer but it has started and finished with illness and injury. January and February were lost due to a knee problem but I recovered from this with four months of good, strong running; half marathons, marathons and ultra marathons in March, April, May and June.

My body was pretty knackered after the 35 mile Shires and Spires and 70 mile Round the Isle of Wight so I eased off over the summer to facilitate recovery. I had treatment for shin pain and rested.

By September I was desperate to get back on it and the next couple of months I managed to achieve my aim of PB’s in the 5km Parkrun and Half Marathon. By November I was running faster and better than at any time before. Then flu hit and I was out of action for three weeks.

The illness is still lingering now and all I have managed since the beginning of November are a few steady 5k distances. I’m beginning to regain my strength though and will be ready to return in the New year.


I’ve already written about my highlights of the year. However I’m now looking forward to what is to come. This is what I’m eagerly anticipating:
  1. Parkrun – I was over the moon when I managed to get a new PB after almost a year of trying. Next year my aim is to finally break the 19 minute barrier.
  2. Parklands Jog and Run – These sessions are a great way to instil the discipline of strength and speed work while having fun with a great group of people. I look forward to more regular attendance in the New Year.
  3. Running for fun – In 2015 I’ll be entering less races. Partly due to the spiralling costs (£40 for a half!) but also to enjoy running for pure unadulterated enjoyment again. Long, steady cross country runs and a chance to explore more of the local area.
  4. Brighton Half Marathon – My first Half of the year which I missed in 2014 due to injury. With a good few weeks of preparation I’m hopeful of a shot at a sub 1:30.
  5. Manchester Marathon – Another deferred race from last year. This is widely recommended as one of the fastest and friendliest marathons in the UK. It will also help me to cope with the disappointment of not getting a place at London. Will I break 3:30?
  6. OCR – Having decided to retire from winter OCR events I will focus on competing in warmer weather. I’d like to try a new one and go for a win.

Popular posts from this blog

Bushy, crewing and an Epping ultra

A bridge too far?

The Druid's Challenge