Daventry Dash

This week a group of us traveled over to Daventry, a small town 10 miles from Northampton. It was their first ever Parkrun so we went along to show solidarity and support.

When we arrived the rain was coming down and it was much colder than previous weeks but given that it was now November we couldn't complain - except Mick who was wearing a vest!


We parked the Parklands Jog & Run tour bus beside a small area of parkland on which volunteers in high viz jackets were already setting up the finishing poles. The start was only a few metres away and so we began our warm up as we waited to see how many people would turn up.

As the magic 9 o'clock hour approached the crowds swelled until over 200 had gathered at the start line. After a few teething problems with the megaphone and an introduction from the local Councillor we were ready for the off. An impressive number of marshals cheered us on our way as we headed uphill across the road towards Daventry Country Park.

The course was a mixture of paths and trails and by now was very wet and slippery. Those of us near the front went off fast and avoided any collisions with passing dog walkers of which there were a few. I enjoyed the cross country feel to the route in contrast to the more structured Northampton Parkrun. We were running on a mixture of grass, gravel and mud paths covered with fallen leaves so I was careful on turns not to slip.

Along the way we encountered a number of wooden bridges, gates and sharp turns which added variety to the run. Most of the first mile was lined by bushes and trees creating a tunnel effect. Again this was in marked contrast to the openness of the Racecourse in Northampton where you can see the other runners ahead and behind.

The marshals were excellent, smiling and encouraging us all the way around. After the first mile I was running well alongside Mick and Steve. We are quite close in our times normally so I took heart that I was at the right pace. I knew I was in the top 20 but could see a few people ahead who I hoped to catch and overtake.

By the second mile I had made up a few places but the fast pace was beginning to tell. It was much harder not knowing the course although my Garmin was able to give me a rough idea of how far we had left. I pushed again trying to put some more distance between myself and my fellow PJR's.

At this stage we came out from the tree covered paths and began an anti clockwise loop of the reservoir. The causeway was covered with puddles but by now there was no staying dry so I plowed through hoping not to experience a Vicar of Dibley moment and be submerged up to my neck!

My legs were starting to burn by this stage and my breathing was heavy. Just as I began to slow I spotted Pete who had come to watch as he had a race the next day. I realised that if he had walked to that point we must be near the finish and so kicked for home overtaking another runner in the process.

Mick was right behind me now and I tried to shake him off but he was strong and came past. We passed under the main road and emerged next to the finish line but my legs had gone. To get to the line involved a steep grass bank and I was overtaken again as I struggled over it. I crossed the line exhausted in 12th place in 19:57.


One by one the other 12 PJR members came home and had their bar codes scanned. Some had enjoyed it more than others but we were all impressed by the organisation, the turnout, the marshaling and the course. We returned to the minibus and made our way to a well known fast food chain for a well deserved McBreakfast.

Congratulations to Daventry Parkrun on your first event and for hosting us. We hope to see you again soon.

Popular posts from this blog

Bushy, crewing and an Epping ultra

A bridge too far?

The Druid's Challenge