Parkrun PB

After almost a year of trying I finally managed to break my 5K PB this weekend. I thought that at the age of 38 I would never beat the 19:21 I set last December. Had I peaked? Was that the fastest I would ever be able to run the distance?

This weekend I didn't expect to be running particularly well. Only six days after my half marathon PB I wanted to set another good time but wasn't looking for anything special. Funny how things turn out.

There are weeks when I try and plan my preparation down to the last detail and when the day comes I don't run well. Others, like this time, everything happens to fall in to place just right - no rhyme or reason.

It just happens that I had a good carb rich dinner on Friday night, I slept well and managed to get up early enough to have a good breakfast with plenty of time to spare before leaving the house. Instead of driving to the park I jogged down meaning that I was warmed up and ready to go on the start line. The weather too was perfect, cool, dry and still.

Standing on the line I decided to try and keep up with the faster runners and see how I felt. The race started and I found myself boxed in, having to overtake slower runners and fight to find some space. After 100 yards I was into my stride and able to catch up with the others from Parklands Jog & Run.


We're all at a similar level and it's a great help to have others to push you on. For the first mile I was having to dig in to keep up with them. The second mile is where I usually slow my pace but we were all running strong and I was determined not to be dropped.

As we started the third mile I felt really good, my breathing was still steady whereas I'm normally blowing if I'm on for a good time. I kept my legs turning but concentrated on my breathing and staying relaxed. After the hill I decided to push on and found that I had the energy to do so. I began to pull away from the group and determined not to get caught.

By now I knew I was running well but my thoughts were more on beating the other guys than a PB. Down the final stretch I could see another couple of runners just ahead of me and started to reel them in. I managed to restrain myself from sprinting too early and then as I approached the last 400m I began to push. I pumped my arms and lengthened my stride. Now my breathing was fast and loud. I caught the guy in front of me and overtook him. One more to go.

We turned for the line and I gritted my teeth. I was going to give it everything. My legs were burning by now which I haven't experienced before. Normally I run out of air before my legs fatigue. I motivate myself in the last 100m by imagining I might fall short of a PB by a second if I don't keep pushing until I have crossed the line.


In the end of didn't manage to catch the one in front but as I stopped my watch I saw that I had taken over 10 seconds off my time. I couldn't believe it. I knew I had run strongly to stay ahead of the other guys but I was thrilled to see I had set a new PB and by quite a margin too.

My 8th place finish gave me a time of 19:08, a 13 second PB and my second in 6 days following last week's Great Birmingham Half. My goal remains to break 19 minutes but for now I just want to enjoy the moment as it could be a long wait for another.


It is good to be able to look back over the last two years and see steady progress. Obviously it has slowed but it is progress none the less. Hopefully I will be able to see that next year too.


Popular posts from this blog

A bridge too far?

Bushy, crewing and an Epping ultra

The Druid's Challenge