The Great North Run

Finally.

After what had seemed like an eternity of not running due to shin splints I was back in my trainers on the start line of a running event. The previous weeks had been spent getting increasingly frustrated at not being able to run and undergoing a number of physio sessions which involved having needles stuck in my legs and a number of daily exercises to undertake.

Ouch!
But last Sunday I was in Newcastle with 57,000 other runners ready to tackle the 13.1 miles to South Shields. There are two iconic runs in the UK; the London Marathon and The Great North Run, and I was about to do both in the same year.

We had traveled up the day before and stayed with a sister of the wife of a friend. They lived quite close to the race. So close in fact that when I opened the bathroom blind in the morning I could see the start line! I was running for Wellchild, a charity that supports sick children and their families.

After a breakfast of cereal, a mars bar and coffee I headed to the start area under a clear blue sky. It was already warm for 9:30 in the morning and a sea of people were making their way to the red double decker buses which would take our bags to the finish line.

Having handed over my belongings and relieved myself with dozens of other male and female runners in the bushes I found my start zone. I was in Orange B about 50m behind the Elite runners. We were taken through a brief warm up session and stretched out. Clothes were discarded and bottles of Lucozade emptied.

There is a reason I don't wear vests....
At 10:40 Seb Coe fired the starting pistol and we were off. I went out at the same pace as those around me which was too fast. When I entered I had in mind a PB, hence why I was near the front. However with nagging injury concerns and 3 weeks without training I planned a steady pace which would allow me to gauge if my recovery had been successful. I hoped to stick to 8 minute miles but completed the first one in just over 7.

Telling myself to slow down and enjoy it I began to look around at the vast crowds cheering us on. At this point we were heading down to the river along the main dual carriageway. As we ran through a number of tunnels there were shouts of Oggy oggy oggy - oy oy oy! that echoed around us. The atmosphere was good and people were smiling and waving.

Emerging from the tunnels we were greeted by the famous Tyne Bridge that spans the river connecting Newcastle to Gateshead. The green metal structure appears on the logo, medals and most publicity material. It wasn't quite Tower Bridge but was still a great feeling as we ran from one side to the other.


A few minutes later there was a loud roar as the Red Arrows flew over trailing white, red and blue smoke in their wake. We made our way through Gateshead, which was made up of shops and housing estates. There wasn't much to see in terms of the town but the people were out in large numbers with children offering high 5's or boxes of sweets and cut up segments of orange. From mile 3-5 we encountered a gradual but steady climb. Here I slowed to my planned 8 minute pace.

The miles flew by and before I knew it we were half way. It was very hot by now and I made sure to stay well hydrated sipping little but often and taking water at every opportunity. They had also provided cold showers that were incredibly refreshing. My pace was steady albeit faster than I had aimed for. Apart from the hill I was consistently hitting 7:20 - 7:40 miles and felt comfortable. There was no pain from my shin and I was enjoying myself.

As in London there were various bands along the route to entertain us and the crowds. I spotted the former 110m hurdle champion Colin Jackson interviewing people on the side of the road. I was beginning to overtake people at this point as they began to tire and feel the heat. A number of runners were being carried from the course by St John's ambulance staff and one man had fallen and was covered in blood.

During the second half of the race I experienced that wonderful feeling that people call the 'runner's high'. My legs were ticking over in a smooth cadence and I wasn't even conscious of my breathing. I felt as though I was gliding along. It was no effort and as I felt the sun on my face and the salty sweat on my brow I looked around at all the others running alongside me and could think of no better place to be at that moment.

As we approached the finish there was a steep but short climb. At the top I was blown away at the vast blue, shimmering scene before me; the sea. What an amazing sight. There was just one mile to go now along the seafront and the crowds were about 5 deep in places.

With plenty of energy in the tank I increased my speed and dodged through the runners ahead of me. A line of military personnel on either side of the road applauded all those who had reached this point. A sharp right turn led me to the finish line and I punched the air with delight at completing the distance with no sign of my shin splints.


My final position was 3538 / 57,000 and my time was 1:42:57, well under my target of 1:45. I picked up my medal, t-shirt and goody bag and headed to the buses to be taken back to Newcastle.

I really enjoyed this run. The crowds and the atmosphere were London-esque. The sheer scale of the event was impressive as was the chance to run across the bridge. However, the majority of the route was pretty dull until we reached the sea. That said I enjoyed this run as much as any other I have done. Partly this was due to the fact that I hadn't run for weeks and that my injury hadn't affected me. But it was also a great experience of consistent pacing and smooth running.

I don't think I will be running GNR again, mainly because it is such a long way to travel but I am glad that I took part. I look forward to watching it on TV next year and seeing people having such a great time and raising lots of money for charity. Next up is the Northampton Half Marathon this Sunday. A little bit closer to home this time!

Popular posts from this blog

A bridge too far?

Bushy, crewing and an Epping ultra

The Druid's Challenge