Oops I did it again

For the second time this year I am injured. After five healthy and successful months of pushing my body to its limits I am back on the sidelines. Earlier in the year I managed to inflame my patella during a particularly brutal cross country event but this time it isn't my knee that's hurt and it wasn't running that caused it.


Somehow I managed to run for 107 miles in three days without so much as a twinge but six points into a game of squash a part of my anatomy decided that enough was enough. As I lunged for the ball I felt something give and a sharp pain at the top of my right thigh. I straightened up but quickly realised that I couldn't lift my right leg without the stabbing pain returning.

A particularly nasty squash injury
At the moment I can walk but only by dragging my leg behind me and I have to take stairs one at a time. I'm not sure exactly what the injury is but some form of groin or upper thigh strain seems likely.

I did a quick Google search and the symptoms so appear to point towards that although I don't like to diagnose anything from the internet. Anyway before I speak to my GP or Physio its time for some RICE.


RICE is an acronym for Rest, Ice, Compress and Elevate. Most injuries require this along with good anti-inflammatory tablets and a dose of feeling sorry for yourself. Hopefully I won't be out of action for too long but I was planning on easing off over the next month anyway and have no races lined up until September.

That said I was hoping to build in some speed work over the summer and have been consistently completing my new exercise regime of crunches, press ups and plank. I think that might have to wait a while...


More pressing concerns are how I will get to work, do the Big Shop and climb the pulpit steps at church on Sunday when I am due to preach the sermon!

Popular posts from this blog

Bushy, crewing and an Epping ultra

A bridge too far?

The Druid's Challenge