Life Lessons from an Ultra Marathon

Marathon running is often used as an allegory for life. While it serves this purpose well I find that another distance is even more appropriate – the Ultra Marathon.


This year I ran my first Ultra, in fact I ran three in a month. The first was the 35 mile Shires and Spires followed a few weeks later by the Round the Isle of Wight race which consisted of 40 and 32 miles back to back over a weekend.

During the hours I was jogging and the many more hours I spent recovering I reflected on what I had learnt through my experiences. I realised that there are a number of elements that I could apply to my life and learn from. I'll be sharing them here over the next few weeks. Here is the first.

1. We are not alone.

The ultra marathon field is made up of a large number of individuals each bringing their own unique abilities, experiences and perspectives to the event. While everyone runs independently they all share the same goal, which is to reach the end and complete the course.


Unlike shorter distances Ultra Marathons offer the opportunity to engage in conversation with other runners. Due to the slower pace and longer distance its possible to meet new people and share the journey together. This may range from a short greeting when passing to a prolonged period of time in each other’s company.


During my first event I enjoyed chatting to various people about the course, finding out where they were from and generally encouraging one another. As we were all running at different paces people would come and go while at other times I was left alone.

At one crucial point I joined the back of a small group and ran with them. No one spoke but when we reached a point on the map where there was some confusion about which way to go we were able to discuss it together and work out the correct path to take.
 

I also remember that towards the end, as I began to tire, I met two runners who pulled me along by taking my mind off the discomfort I was experiencing.

I ran the second event with a friend. On this occasion I had someone by my side for the entire distance. There were times when we chatted and joked together, and others when we ran in silence.

At one point I would take the lead and encourage him to keep going while a little later it would be me who needed the cajoling. We pulled one another along when the going was tough and enjoyed the parts where we felt good.



Having someone by my side also meant that we could enjoy the experience together, pointing out things of interest, marveling at the views and appreciating the moment.

Running with someone else also gives the security that if anything should happen such as an injury or accident then there is someone there to help.

It wasn't just the people in the race that shared in the event. There were those we met along the way who cheered us on, the volunteers offering food and water, the masseurs, the first aiders and the friends and families there to give support.

You could run an Ultra distance alone. It would be cheaper and you wouldn't have to do it on a set date but you would miss out on so much. It strikes me that life isn't so different. We can go through it alone but we aren't made to. We are relational beings, social animals and we need each other.

Popular posts from this blog

Bushy, crewing and an Epping ultra

A bridge too far?

The Druid's Challenge