Top ten taper tips

Only four days to go before the Isle of Wight Ultra and I'm on a taper. This is the technical jargon for resting before a long race. From the information I have gleaned it involves reducing the number of miles drastically while eating as many carbohydrates as you can physically manage.


My last run was on Saturday morning - 3.1 miles at Northampton Parkrun and I will allow myself another few miles towards the end of the week but that is it until the weekend.

When I first started jogging it took a great deal of effort and self discipline to force myself to leave the house and run. A couple of years later I now find myself using the same methods to resist the urge to put my trainers on and go out.

Back then I wouldn't have believed that I would ever need a reason not to go for a jog but as I have grown to love the experience I find myself becoming irritable and moody when I can't get out. It's as though my legs are bursting with energy that needs to be released. In a way I suppose they are, especially as I am eating more energy rich food.

It's more than a physical drive though, it is also a mental pull. My mind craves the opportunity to have time and space to drift, to rest, to mull over the many thoughts that are competing to attention. When I am jogging my mind is allowed to drift and when it does so a lot of stuff gets processed. I'm not thinking as such but just allowing my brain to work without a focus.

I also miss being outside in the fresh air feeling the sun's warmth or cooling rain on my skin, listening to the birdsong and exploring the footpaths near my home. I miss the opportunity to pray and meditate and connect with God and nature.

So this week I'm feeling fidgety, grumpy and nervous, not a good combination. In order to distract myself I have come up with ten things to take my mind off jogging.

1- Soundtrack your event. There are mixed views on listening to music while running but if it helps you then this is a great time to create or update your playlist. A good mix of upbeat tunes with motivating lyrics can make all the difference. Alternatively download your favourite podcasts or spoken word. During a marathon you could get through a novel no problem.

2- Packing. Make a kit list and make sure that you have everything ready for the big day. Tick them off your list. No doubt you will repack it all the night before and the morning of the race but it will give you something to occupy yourself with.

3- Planning your strategy. This is a good time to think through your tactics for the event. Go off fast or start steady? Gels or energy bars? Water or isotonic drinks? What pace are you aiming for? How will you reward yourself when you've finished?

4- Jobs around the house. One of the side effects of jogging is that there is less time to do things in the house and garden. The taper is a great opportunity to cross some of them off the list.



5- Sign up for more races. Just because you're not jogging this week doesn't mean that you can't sign up for future events. Get online and plan your schedule. It's also good to do this now as no doubt half way through the event you will be promising yourself that you will never do anything like it ever again.

6- Stretching. Although you're not jogging that doesn't mean you can sit around and do nothing. Your muscles and tendons will get tighter during the week so it is important to keep them stretched out and flexible so come the day of the race you don't risk an injury.

7- Sleeping. Pro-active resting is just as important as not exercising. Sleep allows the body and mind to rest and is a vital part of pre-race preparation.

8- Eat well and hydrate. When I am jogging regularly I also eat and drink healthily. I guess that's due to feeling good and wanting that to be maintained. However once I stop for a period of time I find that I start to give in to the temptation to eat and drink things that are not so good for me. Crisps, chocolate, beer and fizzy drinks are the worst. Instead it is better to drink plenty of water and stick to pasta, rice and potatoes. One way I find helpful is to promise myself all the junk food after the race and of course by then I am off the taper and wanting to eat and drink well again.

9- Writing. Hence this post. If I can't jog I can blog. Writing about jogging helps take my mind off the fact that I'm not actually doing it.

10- Make your own energy bars. The kitchen is a great place to distract yourself. If you are running a marathon or an ultra (which are the distances that normally require a taper period) you will need to fuel your body during the event. Make your own chick pea and peanut butter cookies or fruit cake and share it with other joggers.

Popular posts from this blog

Bushy, crewing and an Epping ultra

A bridge too far?

The Druid's Challenge