The year so far...

As I have started this blog almost half way through the year here is a quick summary of what I have done so far. Future events will be described in much more detail, more like a review, but for now here are the highlights.

In January I took part in the Eric Humphries 10K at Delapre in Northampton. This was my first cross country event and I finished well although I still haven't managed to get hold of my time or position. Unfortunately I also injured my patella by going too fast down some steep and slippy hills which resulted in an enforced rest. I had managed 68 miles for January.
Eric Humphries XC
Due to my injury I missed all of February managing a miserable 23 miles altogether. But thanks to my physio, Wayne Wymer from The Maple Tree Clinic, I was ready to run again at the beginning of March.

My year began properly with Sole Destroyer, my first OCR race of the year. It was a 5K event which I ran gently to protect my knee but was great fun despite the freezing conditions. I was part of the team from PJR who ran and encouraged one another around the course. 
Sole Destroyer
This was followed by three half marathons in three weeks; Milton Keynes, Pitsford and Warwick. My main aim was to finish each one without further problems with my knee which I managed. Better than that I also achieved my first PB of the year At Pitsford with 1:35:34 finishing 8th out of a field of 59.

Milton Keynes

Pitsford

Warwick
In between Pitsford and Warwick I also managed another OCR this time Mud, Sweat and Beers in Daventry. I ran hard and came 2nd behind my teammate Stephen Croft. My mileage improved this month to over 80 miles.

Mud, Sweat & Beers
April was a big month as I had won a place in the London marathon. My knee felt strong and I was in good form with my confidence boosted by the half marathon PB and high finish in the 5K OCR. I was also regularly attending the local Parkrun on Saturdays and my club nights on Mondays.

London Marathon
It was my second London Marathon having taken part in 2012 before I started jogging regularly. My time of 5:20 still haunted me as I knew I was capable of much better. Now I had an opportunity to prove it. I set my sights on a sub 4 hour finish time. The day itself was incredible, the crowds, the weather, the route and the race itself. I started fast at 8:30 pace slightly faster than the 9 minute pace needed for a sub four hours. My aim was to keep the pace as long as possible and if I flagged at the end I would have time in hand. I ended up sticking to it for the whole 26.2 miles and achieving a PB of 3:45:58. I ended the month having completed over 100 miles for the first time.

In May I managed to beat my London time in the Milton Keynes Marathon. There were less people and I didn't know the course at all but I increased my pace to 8 minute miles. It worked well for the first 24 miles but I then had my first experience of the 'wall'. I ended up dragging my legs across the finish at Milton Keynes football stadium but having knocked 12 minutes off my time with a new PB of 3:33:22.

Milton Keynes Marathon
During the first five months of the year my Parkrun times have varied depending on whether I was looking to push myself or pace for others. It has been equally satisfying to help two members of PJR to achieve new PB's as it has been getting my own. My 5K PB remains 19:21 which I set last November. I've come close with 19:30 and 19:33 in April and 19:24 in May.

Parkrun
PJR continues to help my jogging as well as being a good, fun social occasion with friends. We held our Annual Awards Dinner this month and I took part in two night runs with the group where we ran for an hour with head torches. This month I have managed 110 miles.

OCR training with PJR
June will hold a fresh challenge for me as I tackle my first Ultra Marathon. Actually I'm doing three in three weeks with a 35 miler followed by a 68 miler over two days. At least I will be guaranteed a PB although the times will be the least of my worries as my aim is just to survive.

Popular posts from this blog

A bridge too far?

Bushy, crewing and an Epping ultra

The Druid's Challenge