Backyard Ultra


I have been watching a videos about backyard ultras lately. They seem to be popping up everywhere. My local club is doing one in November. This type of event intrigued me. I've tried most running genres from 5K to Ultra, multi-day to obstacle course, cross country to track. The chance to try something new appealed.

After some thought I decided to run one solo in my own backyard. I don't have a backyard - or any outdoor space, I live in a first floor flat - so I chose the park opposite. I'm fortunate to front on to Mountsfield Park, the venue for Catford parkrun. One loop of the course is about a mile give or take. A recce enabled me to construct a decent four loop route with a mini loop at the end which would measure 4.5 miles. 

The day for it came sooner than expected which gave me less time to over think my strategy. My plan was to start at 6am and run 4.5 miles every hour, on the hour until I stopped. My first target was six hours which would hit the marathon distance. Second, seven hours for an ultra. This was the real minimum as I had called it a backyard ultra. From that point on I would see how I felt.

My 5am alarm call gave me time to eat and stretch before I entered the park in the dark at 6am. By the end of the first lap the sky was already lightening. A mist lay over the lower field and an overcast sky bode well for good conditions.

As I entered my final lap of the first hour the sun broke out and the clouds evaporated. Maybe it would be warmer than I expected. Back at the park entrance I stopped my watch with an 8:34 min/mile average pace giving me twenty minutes recovery time.

In between each set I returned home, changed my top, drank water and had a snack. Well, all except one time...

Surprisingly I felt good at 7am and didn't notice any of the stiffness I had expected. My route from the gate circled left past the rose garden and then right and right again with the community vegetable garden on my right and the tennis courts and play area on my left. Passing the bandstand I took a left behind the play area and another right for a three sided lap of the top field. The dew cooled my feet and soaked my shoes.

This part of the lap was the standard parkrun loop down to the lower field with the morning mist still lingering in the air. A 360 degree run around the edge brought me back to the path and a tight right turn followed by a sweeping right brought me to the bottom of the park and onto the woodland trail. I was thankful that over half the course is not on asphalt.

Two days previously I had borrowed some long handled secateurs and lopped off the low hanging tree branches that had been causing runners and walkers alike to detour or duck as they made their way through the arboreal section of the park. I was glad of this as I ran undisturbed to the corner and then ascended the rise back to the rose garden.

Three times I ran this identical loop. On the fourth time as I approached the rose garden from the hill I again followed the path to the vegetable garden, but this time turned off early and came out beside the cafe. A few hundred metres back to the gate brought me to full distance.

My second set was at 8:20 pace, as was my third accompanied by Joseph from Your Pace or Mine, my running group. It was such an encouragement to see him and to run beside someone.

It was now time for the 9am slot which I had decided to combine with parkrun. We eventually started three minutes late and I was faster simply due to the others running alongside me. My pace ended up being under 8 min/miles which was too fast, but I could slow down for the next one.

Thankfully I did run slower and was grateful again for company as Nesrin, another YPOMer, kindly joined me. Back up to 8:10 pace and I still felt really good. Just as I had the last three times I changed my top, drank and ate mini rolls, mini-cheddars, grapes and muesli bars. It was hotter than I had expected and I was sweating heavily. 

At 11am I knew I only had to complete this set to reach the marathon distance. I popped my headphones in and listened to Running Commentary podcast, laughing out loud at the tales of Rob Deering getting lost in South Wales. The time flew and I was back in under 35 minutes, my quickest hour.

Midday. The mid-September sun was beginning to scorch my head and neck. Sweat poured down my chest and back as I started the ultra lap. The course was starting to challenge me mentally now. 24 laps of the same ground wasn't doing it for me. My admiration for those who manage 24-48 hours of this madness had increased significantly.

Somehow I managed 8:10 pace on this occasion, but it was more out of desperation than good running. I was beginning to want to get it over with as quickly as possible. Not a good sign. I wasn't enjoying it anymore. I don't think this was helped by my own internal monologue that I had done an ultra now so there was nothing left to aim for. I tried to convince myself that 40 miles was a good target, maybe 50 miles, then 100k? It wasn't washing, I knew I was almost done.

As I stood at the gate for my 8th set and felt the heat, and saw the other park users laying in the sun with cool drinks, or playing with their children I began to lose heart even more. But off I went. The first lap dragged. Just three to go and then reassess I told myself. On the second lap I realised I hadn't eaten for the first time between sets. I stopped at the water bottle station and drank, pouring the chilled water over my head and neck. It was refreshing, but not what I needed.

On the third lap it all fell apart. I felt light headed, my legs weak. My pace slowed until I gave in and accepted I needed to walk for a while. There was still plenty of time. I was half way and still had 35 minutes to cover two miles. Sounds easy.

Dragging my legs up the hill to start the third loop I was overcome with a ravenous hunger. There was no other option. I had my bank card and the park cafe was a hundred yards away. I made a bee-line for salvation, praying there wouldn't be a queue.

Reaching the counter, and relieved to see no one waiting, I impatiently demanded a savoury pastry and slice of lemon drizzle cake before resting my hands on my sweaty knees and closing my eyes. It was all I could do to tap my card on the contactless device before stuffing both items down my neck as quickly as I could manage. What a sight for the other cafe users.

It did the trick though, and after a few more minutes walking I managed to jog again. Lap three done, one to go. It was a painfully slow final lap, but I made it with 13 minutes to spare. My pace averaged 10:31.

Was I tempted to carry on? One more set would have made it 40 miles. There was still 13 minutes in the bank on my worst set so far.

No. I was done. Maybe if it had been a competition against others I may have been tempted to try and outlast them. This was no such thing. It was another four laps of the park, in the heat, alone or go home for a shower, a big lunch and a lay down. A no brainer even for me.

Popular posts from this blog

A bridge too far?

Bushy, crewing and an Epping ultra

The Druid's Challenge